Summary for the Perry County Board of Education Meeting May 18, 2020
On Monday, May 18, 2020 the Perry County Board of Education conducted its monthly board meeting. Due to Alabama’s stay at home order issued by Gov. Ivey, the meeting was conducted via Zoom video-conferencing.
After the adoption of the agenda the Chief Finance (CFO) reviewed the April 30, 2020 Financial Statement.
The Superintendent gave an update on the implementation of the Academic Continuity Plan for 2019-2020. He reported this was the final week and most students completed their work last week. Friday would be the last day of school as scheduled. Grades are scheduled to be ready by that day.
Seniors had completed their work. A couple of students did not meet the requirements for graduation and would have to attend summer school.
The school calendar would need to be revised to start on or after August 20, 2020.
Plans were being made to reopen school
No tenured personnel had to be released even though the system lost 118 students. The Preliminary Allocations for the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency School Emergency Relief Fund (Cares Act) and the Technology Enhancement Fund was shared.
Donations made by individuals or groups to help cover the cost of outfitting the buses with WiFi and to provide hot spots were: C.H.O.I.C.E. $5,000.00, Alabama Power $2,500, Donna & Jullian Smith $1,200.00.
Student Advisors to the board – Ms. T’Keyah Threatt, Robert C. Hatch – Absent.
Mr. Patrick Bates, Francis Marion School – Absent.
An update on Facilities and Safety was presented.
Dr. Davis gave an update on the Superintendent’s search.
The following recommendations were approved.
1. The payroll for the month of April
2. The General Fund Bank Reconciliation Statement for the month of April 2020
3. The board meeting minutes of April 27, 2020
4. 26 personnel recommendations
5. Bids were offered to remodel the bathrooms on the lower floor at Robert C. Hatch in the main building
6. That Perry County School System Title IV, Part B, 21st Century Community Learning Center Grant for Robert C. Hatch Carryover application
7. That Perry County School System Budget Amendment Revision 1: Title IV, Part A Students Support and Academic Enrichment FY 2020 application be approved
8. That Perry County School System Consolidated Application Budget Amendment Revision 1: Title 1-A – Schoolwide, Title II-A-Supporting Effective Instruction and Title V-B – Rural and Low-Income FY 2020 applications be approved
9. That the ETF Advancement and Technology Fund (FY 2020) Fund expenditure plan be approved
10. That the Perry County Board of Education operate a virtual summer school June 1, 2020
through July 10, 2020
Board Members Comments;
Rev. Eulas Kirtdoll – No comments.
Mrs. Cheryle Thomas – Stated she was excited about stakeholders sending in contributions and calls from community partners about graduation.
Mr. Donald Nichols – No comments.
Mrs. Fransia Foster – No comments.
Dr. Vera Davis – Thanks Ms. Emefa Butler for her contribution.
Attorney Robert Turner No comments.